INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS FOR THE LIFE SCIENCES I
SAMPLE FINAL EXAMINATION 2
N O T E: NOT ALL QUESTIONS MAY BE APPLICABLE IN CURRENT SEMESTER;
CLICK ON CORRECT ANSWER FOR SOLUTION .
1. At fairly high velocities, the drag force (F) acting on a sphere of radius R moving through a fluid of density r at a velocity (V) is given by:
F = (1/4)pR2rv2
Which graph below currently illustrates the relationship between F and v?
2. At very low velocities, the drag force acting on a sphere of radius (R) moving through a fluid with a velocity (V) is given by:
F = 6ph Rv
where h is a property of the fluid called
its "viscosity''. According to this equation, the dimensions of viscosity
( h ) are:
(A) M L-1 T-1
(B) M L2 T-2
(C) M-1 L2 T-1
(D) M2 L-1 T2
(E) M2 L-1 T-2
3. Mary and Jane decided to try making some wine. Each started with
yeast culture containing an identical number of cells. The yeast thrived
in Mary's wine and increased exponentially with a growth constant of 1.0
day-1. Unfortunately, Jane kept her wine at too low a temperature
and her yeast population decayed exponentially with a decay constant of
2.0 day-1. How long will it be before Mary's wine contains four
times as many yeast cells as Jane's?
(A) ln 3.0 days
(B) ln 4 days
(C) (ln 3)/4 days
(D) 4 ln 3.0 days
(E) (ln 4)/3 days
4. A travelling sound wave has a frequency of 1000 Hz and a speed in
air of 340 m s-1. Which equation below could describe this wave?
(A) y = yocos(l000p t)sin(340p x)
(B) y = -2yocos(2000p t)sin(5.88p x)
(C) y = yosin(2000p t + 5.88p x)
(D) y = yosin(l000p t - 0.340p x)
(E) y = -yosin(l000p t + 340p
5. A wave on a string is described by the equation:
y = 0.03cos(150t)sin(15x) (All quantities are S.I.)
Which one of the following statements is not correct?
(A) This represents a standing wave with a node at the origin (i.e.,
(B) This wave could be produced by two travelling waves each of amplitude
(C) Each particle oscillates with a period of 0.042 s.
(D) The speed of travelling waves on this string
is 5.00 m/s.
(E) The wavelength of this wave is 0.42 m.
6. The diagram shows a tube which is closed at one end and open at the
other. If the tube is in air, which of the following sound frequencies
will induce a standing wave or resonance in the tube? (See Equation Sheet
for required data.) (Answers given to 2 significant figures.)
(A) 60 Hz
(B) 140 Hz
(C) 280 Hz
(D) 12 Hz
(E) 340 Hz
7. When John is shouting, the intensity level 1.0 m from his mouth is
80.0 dB. What is the intensity level due to this sound, 20.0 m from John?
(Assume no loss of acoustic power in the air; (Io = 1.0 x 10-12
W m-2.) (Answers given to 2 significant figures.)
(A) 80 dB
(B) 63 dB
(C) 54 dB
(D) 4.0 dB
(E) 0.20 dB
8. Referring to John's shouting in Question 7, the acoustical power
being produced by John is:
(A) 4p x 10-4 W
(B) 4p W
(C) 1.0 x 10-4 W
(D) 320p W
(E) p W
9. Which statement concerning the human ear is not correct?
(A) On average, the human ear is most sensitive to sounds of frequency
about 3500 Hz.
(B) The tympanic membrane, oscicles and oval window form a piston-lever
system which amplifies the pressure fluctuations in the sound wave,
(C) In adults, the air in the auditory canal
has a natural resonance frequency of about 500 Hz.
(D) The basilar membrane contains the hair cells which change mechanical
oscillations to electrical nerve signals.
(E) The region of maximum amplitude oscillation of the basilar membrane
depends on the sound frequency; this may be one way we recognize sounds
of different pitch.
|The diagram illustrates a camera with a 50.0 mm focal length lens, taking a picture of a person. The image on the film is 34 mm high and the film plane is 51.0 mm behind the lens. Which row below correctly gives the lens-person distance and the person's height?|
|Height of Person
11. John is myopic and he wears corrective eyeglasses with a power of
-2.25 diopters for his left eye. The near point of his corrected
vision for his left eye is 25 cm. Where are the near and far points of
John's uncorrected left eye?
|-||Near Point (m)||Far Point (m)|
12. The 2 bright wing lights of a Boeing 747 are 30 m apart. The pilot
of another plane suddenly sees the two lights, which previously appeared
as one, resolve into two separate lights. Assuming the pilot has a pupil
diameter of 2.0 mm and the wavelength of the light is 550 nm, the distance
from the pilot to the Boeing 747 is: (assume visual resolution is limited
only by diffraction in the eye.)
(A) 100 m
(B) 1.2 km
(C) 20 km
(D) 90 km
(E) 250 km
13. Which line below correctly describes the electric field at point x, midway between the two ions. The ions are in water with a dielectric constant of 80.
(A) 13.5 x 108 N/C toward the Cl- ion
(B) 13.5 x 108 N/C toward the Ca++ ion
(C) 4.5 x 108 N/C toward the Cl- ion
(D) 4.5 x 108 N/C toward the Ca++ ion
(E) 9.0 x 108 N/C toward the Cl- ion
|In the accompanying electrical circuit, what must be the value of gx (in S) in order that I = 20 A?|
15. A light source is emitting 4.2 watts of light energy at a wavelength
of 550 nm. How many photons are emitted by this source in one hour?
(A) 5.5 x 10-3
(B) 4.2 x 104
(C) 5.5 x 1011
(D) 1.7 x 1014
(E) 4.2 x 1022
16. The graph of the probability density of a p -electron as a function of x in a linear, conjugated carbon chain is shown below:
Which one of the lines below is correct?
|-||value of a||Wavelength
electron is between
x=l/2 and x=3l/4
|Graph of Wave Function|
17. The speed of a b-particle just after
b -decay is determined to be one half the speed
of light. The corresponding wavelength of this b
-particle would be:
(A) 1.7 x 10-8 m
(B) 4.9 x 10-12 m
(C) 7.3 x 10-7 m
(D) 9.4 x 10-14 m
(E) 6.2 x 10-5 m
18. What is the wavelength of the photon emitted during the transition shown in the diagram? Assume a linear conjugated p -system with carbon-carbon bond lengths of 0.15 nm.
(A) 670 nm
(B) 570 nm
(C) 470 nm
(D) 370 nm
(E) 270 nm
19. If Er, Ev and Ee are, respectively,
the energies required to bring about rotational, vibrational and rotational
transitions in molecules, then:
(A) le > lv and l v =lr
(B) l v < le < l r
(C)le < l v < lr
(D) l v = le and l r <lv
(E) l r < lv
< l e
20. Which of the following radiations are listed in increasingorder
of relative biological effectiveness or qualifying factor? (i.e., increase
from left to right)
(A) g -rays, a -rays, b -rays
(B)g -rays, b -rays, a -rays
(C) b -rays, g -rays, a -rays
(D) a -rays, b -rays, g -rays
(E) a -rays, g
-rays, b -rays
21. Thorium 23290Th undergoes a -decay to produce a daughter nucleus which in turn undergoes b decay yielding AzAc. Which of the following properly gives A and z?
HINT an a -particle is 42a and a b -particle is 0-1b
Return to Contents