Why choose Guelph?
Personal Contact and Support
The University of Guelph strongly believes in the personal approach to education.
- Faculty: Professors are always eager to help you become an independent learner, one step at a time.
- Research-Based Curriculum: Our wide-ranging research forms the basis of the physics curriculum, which is constantly updated to reflect recent advances in the field.
- Small classes provide a unique learning experience, enhanced by pioneering web-based teaching and evaluation.
The University of Guelph is committed to applied learning in the sciences. Beginning as early as first year in the Physics Program, you will conduct computer-interfaced experiments and gather data in real time using sophisticated equipment.
Dinstinguished, Award-Winning Faculty
Our teachers and researchers include recipients of national and international awards including the prestigious 3M Teaching Award, Steacie Fellowship, the Polanyi Prize, three Canada Research Chairs - one in Biophysics, one in Experimental Nuclear Physics and one in Soft Condensed Matter Physics - the Canadian Association of Physicists' Herzberg Medal, the Canadian Association of Physicists' Medal for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, and the Cottrell Scholar Award for Excellence in both teaching and research. Our physics department is home to five Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada and five of our young faculty have received the Premier's Research Excellence Award/Early Researcher Award.
Exciting Research Opportunities
All students graduate with exceptional laboratory experience, and most elect to benefit from research conducted alongside internationally recognized scientists in our 4th year Research in Physics course. Our students have an outstanding history of winning summer research awards from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council. Our undergraduate students have also authored or co-authored papers that have been published in research journals, such as the Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Physical Review, Physics Research, Nuclear Physics, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Journal of Biomolecular NMR, Nuclear instruments and Methods in Physics Research, and Physics in Medicine and Biology.
Flexibility to Plan Your Degree Program and More
- Majors: Uncertain about which major is best for you? Not to worry. Your first year in physics, chemistry, mathematics and biology provides a foundation from which any science major can be chosen. You can therefore switch majors easily after first year.
- Co-op study option: "earn as you learn" and gain valuable hands-on real world experience that will complement your academics.
- Minors: Choose a minor to complement your major or satisfy a personal interest. Mathematics and computer science are just two examples of minors our students are currently pursuing.