Quantum Many Body Physics (PHYS*7330)
Code and section: PHYS*7330*01
Term: Winter 2020
Instructor: Anton Burkov
Lectures: WF, 10:00-11:20am.
Offce hours: open door, PHY 369.
Assignments and Grading
Homework: roughly every 2 weeks.
- Introduction to many-particle quantum mechanics, second quantization, coherent states.
- Path integral formalism for bosons and fermions.
- Matsubara formalism, formal properties of the Green's function, self-energy, quasiparticles.
- Linear response theory, metals and insulators.
- Broken symmetry, mean- eld theories. Theory of superfluidity and superconductivity.
- Fractional quantum Hall e ect, fractional statistics in 2D, topological field theories.
- One-dimensional many-body systems and bosonization.
- J. Negele and H. Orland, Quantum Many-Particle Systems.
- X.-G, Wen, Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems.
- N. Nagaosa, Quantum Field Theory in Condensed Matter Physics.
- A. Altland and B. Simons, Condensed Matter Field Theory.