How to Apply - Grad
|Starting Semester||Application Deadline**|
|Fall (September)||February 1st|
|Winter (January)||June 1st (previous year)|
|Summer (May)||October 1st (Previous year)|
Applications may be submitted as early as 2 months prior to the above deadlines.
** For Domestic students (Canadians and Permanent Residents) applications will be considered after these deadlines, although this may impact your eligibility for major awards and scholarships in your first year.
Minimum Degree Requirements
An honours degree in physics or equivalent, from an approved institution, with first or upper second class standing (equivalent to minimum of 75% by Ontario standards) is normally required for entry into the MSc program; an MSc degree in Physics is normally required for entrance into the PhD program.
- Online Application; NOTE: be sure to declare ALL post-secondary institutions attended (past and current; this includes incomplete studies and transfer courses). There will be a place to indicate up to 3 areas of study, and a place to list potential supervisors. You are strongly encouraged to indicate potential supervisors even if you haven't contacted them yet.
- Supplementary Information Form (SIF) see below
- Academic Transcripts from each post-secondary institutions attended showing all courses and marks along with a transcript legend/key/grading scale in original language with a certified translation (if not in English); NOTE: transcripts generated from a self-service/web information system must display full name, academic program, university name and logo, and transcript legend/key/grading scale
- THREE references
For applicants whose previous/current degree(s) are NOT from a Canadian institution
- Physics SUBJECT Graduate Record Exam (GRE) with a minimum score of 800
For applicants whose first language is not English and for whom the language instruction for current/previous degree(s) is NOT English
- English Language Proficiency (ELP) Certification
Note: Applicants who have arranged to take a GRE and/or ELP at a future date may apply with these tests pending. As soon as the test results are received, the application package will be reviewed (providing all other documents have been received).
- Do I have to provide a GRE?
If you are applying from an institution outside of Canada we require a Physics Subject GRE.
- Do I have to provide a ELP?
You must provide an English Language Proficiency (ELP) test if; English is not your first language, your BSc or MSc was completed in English more than two years ago or your previous education was not completed in English.
- My average, PGRE score, TOEFL/IELTS score is below the minimum requirement, can I still apply?
Yes. Your application is considered as a whole package, if one of the metrics is below the minimum requirement you will still be considered.
- I have a BSc, can I apply directly to the PhD program?
You should apply to the MSc program. Exceptional students may be considered for accelerated MSc or direct entry to PhD programs, but the majority of applicants holding a BSc degree will be made offers into the MSc program.
- Can I indicate a supervisor without contacting them first?
Yes. Your application will be more successful if you indicate 2-3 supervisors that you are interested in working with as well as areas of research that you are interested in.
- Can I contact potential supervisors?
Yes. Be specific in your correspondence, let them know about your research experience, publications, presentations and the aspects of their research you are most interested in. Avoid sending generic messages.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions of concerns.